Angelokastro was besieged but was only conquered once (1386) after a six-month siege by the Venetians. It was also besieged by Barbarossa (1537) but without success . According to the local tradition, the inhabitants and the few guards (8 men) , resisted so successfully that the Turks decided to retreat and leave Corfu. The Turks didn't succeed in conquering it in 1571 either.
The surnames of the inhabitants of the region, especially of the villages Makrades, Krini, Lakones, Vistonas (Makris, Chalikias etc) show that the soldiers who defended the castle were awarded after the end of their duty and later, as defenders of the borders, pieces of land in order to settle down with their families near the place of their service
Inside the castle two huge water tanks are preserved and the churches of Taxiarches and Agia Kyriaki . The church of Taxiarches was built in 1784 at the position of another, older church . Agia Kyriaki is built in a small cave and it has frescoes of the 18th century
|By [19.07.2011 11:56 - xYsVTpjiPO]
Hey, subtle must be your mdilde name. Great post!