The monastery of the Virgin Mary was founded in 1225 . However, the building that the visitors see today date to the 16th-18th century .
The first buildings seen to have been parts of older fortifications , where comes the name "Palaiokastritsa" (of the Old Castle). It was destroyed by the Genovese in 1403 . It was rebuilt in 1469 and destroyed again in 1537 by the Turks. In 1572 it was built again and it is still preserved with several additions and repairs, like the northern entrance of 1722.
Here there is a museum with Byzantine and post-Byzantine icons, holy vestments, books and vessels, as well as the bones of a whale .